Thursday, December 8, 2011

有朋自遠方來 - 2


I put on a sweater and went out the front door to greet our guests from far far away. The long trip (~ 12 hrs) didn’t dim their pleasant smiles by the least bit. I thought about rolling out the red carpet but couldn’t find a piece of red rug long enough. Nevertheless, I helped DJT and DP with their belongings AND the goodies they had brought us. Under the front porch light I saw DJT clearly for the first time, yeah, she is definitely “close” to her claimed age. 
 
My wife welcomed in our guests and we had a three-way hug. I have often mentioned DJT to my wife, that she has also read DJT’s responses to my FB postings. There was never that “awkward strangers in the same room” feeling, even though we were meeting face to face for the very first time. 

DJT had shown me photos of the goodies she had bought, well, I wasn’t expecting a container full of them yummies! Wait, there was another large bag of snacks, wow! Looking at the completely full kitchen island, my stomach began to growl. Oh, I hadn’t eaten yet! We thanked them for their kind gestures and led them to our family room to get some rest. 

My wife being the excellent hostess that she usual is, chatted with her expatriates (for two days anyway) while I made tea for them. Meanwhile, simmering in the soup bowl, my 4-pack Ramen dinner. 

We asked how their drive was, “Not too bad. After we found our way back to the freeway and got through the checkpoint, it was rather easy actually.” DP replied. From there on, we talked about anything that came to mind. Every so often DJT would exercise her healthy lungs,....”, just like I had heard numerous times eavesdropping in the chat room conversations. 

It may not be the best tool to judge a person’s true character, but I think one’s laugh does show the individual’s personality, perhaps deeper than we think. “Open-minded, warm, uninhibited” would be my assessment on DJT, “爽朗”, if you will. DP on the other hand, doesn’t quite have the decibels as his better half. Nevertheless, I could tell that he is very easy-going, sincere, and witty.
We sat and chatted for quite a while. 

I actually don’t remember how I finished my dinner, maybe in several bites? I showed DJT and DP the guest bedroom upstairs, their sleeping quarter for the night and the next day.  “Good-night”, we said to one another, as we retired for the evening. “Tomorrow is going to be a great day!” 

-          Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment