Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gone fishing…saved a worm.

Last year I was bombarded with home projects that I didn’t get a chance to go fishing. I won’t say it’s my favorite pastime but perhaps it will be when I finally retire and have too much time on my hands. I packed up my fishing gear last night and headed out quarter before 6 am this morning.
I decided to try out the artificial lures, not that I’m squirmish about using night crawlers, I just wanted to spare the worms.

My wife’s company has several very large retention ponds stocked with fish. Bluegills, small mouth bass, large mouth bass, catfish, etc. I got a bite on my first cast but didn’t reel it in, perhaps I rushed it a bit. I felt pretty good and was quite sure I’d bring home some fish for BBQ. Unfortunately that first cast was the closest I had to catching any fish.

I moved to different spots, tried different lures, hook sizes, still, reeled in nothing. Just before I decided to pack it in for the day (~ 10:30 am) I noticed a large earthworm somehow ended up in the pond. There was no doubt it would eventually drown or be some fish’s lunch. I picked up a twig and fished it out of the pound, left it on the grass. The poor worm was about half dead and remained motionless for a while. After several minutes it began to move and dug its way back into the ground.

I didn’t catch any fish, but ironically, I saved an earthworm.

original post date: May 3, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment