Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Quality of Life

What is the quality of life? Is it the material wealth one can amass?, or, is it the accolades one can receive? How often do you hear this? "Live life to its fullest." What exactly does "fullest" mean? Have you ever sat down and pondered on this question? I supposed we all have different opinions about what the quality of life is.

A friend of mine, Joe, has recently passed away unexpectedly. His untimely departure sparked a few "tributes" in an online forum which I belonged to. As quickly as some people expressed their condolences, it seemed they were even quicker to forget about the "friend" they had.
"Life is a bitch and then we die." was Joe’s favorite quote. Isn’t that the truth?

Well, you know, life goes on and we must continue, some said. Call me sentimental, but I think it’s sad if that’s how you feel. Some people care much more about the rise and fall of their stocks, investments, and the commodity markets. "Life is good.", something I frequently read there, but just what makes life "good"?
One member’s screen name implies his ideal about leaving the final impression on someone else. To this day, I still don’t see the importance in that. People WILL remember you if you are worthy. A name is just a name, it’s all hollow to me.

I revisited all of Joe’s blog entries, and yes, I got emotional reading some of them. Jericho Beach, Little Girls;
我的國中英文朗誦比賽; Busy Old Student; Activities with my sons; 分享我騎車的瘋狂經驗; New life in Vancourver; Have you ever had an Eureka moment?

I can’t say that I know Joe all that well. But from the handful of chat sessions and emails we had, I could tell he was the type of friend I would want to keep for life. Life isn’t about all the glitters you see on the surface. How much of the fame and fortune do you plan on taking with you when you are six feet under? Yes, it’s great that you are paving the road for your children. But remember that without a few bumps alone the way, they will never learn how to live their lives.

In more ways than one, Joe is (not was) a role model to me. Witty and wise without being preachy. I lost count of how many times I actually laughed out loud after reading his comments or replies. An amateur photographer that he might be, many of his works are simply amazing. During one chat, Joe mentioned that his businesses were closing, and that he felt sad. He felt sad not because he had to close his stores, but letting his employees go. In all, the most precious moments Joe had captured though, I think, were the bits and pieces about his family life. Low key, peaceful and yet, very meaningful.

Yes, I still mourn about his passing. It’s not just that I have lost a friend. To me, it goes beyond that. This world has lost a wonderful human being, a caring father and a loving husband. Thank you Joe, for showing me the quality of life. Although short, but you had lived your life to its fullest.

original post date: October 29, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment