Monday, March 21, 2011

Home Coming

I just got words of my upcoming trip to China, that it has been booked. It's going to be a busy 2-week trip, covering 8 or 9 factory visits. Going from Shenzhen to Suzhou, then to Xiamen. 深圳 - 蘇州 - 廈門.

A couple of weeks ago I sent in my passport to get the China visa processed. In the safe where we keep all the important documents, I found my mom's old Green Card and her old 身分證. On it, 本籍 - 福建省廈門市.

A little story that has been passed down - my maternal grandfather (born and raised in Tainan County) had traveled to Xiamen on a few occasions. On one of his trips he met a local gal in Xiamen,
they had two daughters in the years that followed. The second daughter is my mom. Soon after my mom was born, grandpa brought grandma and the girls to Tainan. Together they would start a family and more kids were produced. (ten kids in all, which was quite normal back then)

I have no doubt that I still have maternal relatives in Xiamen, perhaps other parts of China as well. How do I go about finding them? I'm not even going to try. That's beyond me. Nevertheless, it'll be sort of a "home-coming" for me. I will be sure to pick up something for my mom when I visit Xiamen.

No comments:

Post a Comment