Friday, March 18, 2011

Home Sweet Home (2)

We didn’t really mind the walk. We strolled down the streets, soaked up the warm sun rays. It felt a little strange as we looked around – we actually blended right in with the crowds! It wasn’t because we were in the middle of Little Taipei, Southern Cal. as a whole, is very diverse in terms of ethnicities. There was a sense of "homey" feeling that we have yet to experience in Indy.

We browsed around, from one mall to the next. Sorry boys, but mom and I had a great time on this sunny afternoon without you two. I went and checked out a video store while my wife contemplated on what we wanted for dinner from a take-out place. I picked up a few titles just as my wife had decided on the food selections.

The entire afternoon was very relaxing even with cars whizzing by. It was around 3 pm or so when we concluded our trip in the old Little Taipei. We arrived at the (expensive) hotel at around 5 pm, I thought it was nice, though not exactly grand. I wondered how they could justify over $200 for a single night’s stay? Breakfast – extra; Internet connection – excluded. We had to call the front desk to get a small refrigerator for our perishable items. Luckily, my wife’s company was picking up all the tabs.


For all you married with kids couples, send the kids away (even for a day), it will do your married life good! Wink We chatted, watched TV and chatted some more. The take-out dishes were simple but very good! About the only place to get good stew (滷味)back in Indy, is to make it ourselves. It’s readily available here in just about any decent sized Asian market.

We didn’t exactly stay up late since our internal clocks were still tuned to Eastern time zone. I packed up my bag before retiring for the evening. My destination for the next morning – San Diego! I planned to hit the road early the next day and make it to my sister’s place in time for breakfast. It’s about a 2 hour drive (115 miles) from Palm Springs to my sister’s. Did I mention that my (very emotional) mom didn’t know I was coming? My sister’s whole family had known about my visit since the end of last year.

I was up early the next morning, although I tried not to disturb my wife, she got up as well. I freshened myself up, kissed my old lady goodbye and off I went. One quick look at my watch – 6:45 am. The morning air was very refreshing but a tad chilly. I followed the guidance of the GPS as I drove through the mountains and the valleys. I took snap shots of the surroundings as the sun slowly rose.

Don’t ask me how fast I was driving, it was only 8:15 am when I saw the familiar exit to my sister’s. Only a few more miles to go! I made the final turn into the cul-de-sac where my sister’s family had called home for nearly 15 years. Without getting my belongings I walked up to the front door. There was no need to ring the door bell as I was greeted by my sister and her two kids.

The timing was just perfect, my mom had just gotten up and was in the bathroom going about her morning routine. I had my nephew knock on the door telling grandma that he needed to use the bathroom. My dear mom responded "Another minute!". My mom is the type that can easily cry her eyes out from watching TV dramas. Yeah, my sister and I are devilish.

My mom opened the door and it was me who greeted her instead of my nephew. Say, did someone just turn on the faucet? Mom got all chocked up as I gathered my niece and nephew for a group hug. The last time I saw my mom before this trip was back in summer, 2008. Fortunately mom didn’t have to get her tissue box this time.

My sister had renovated their home since our last visit a few years ago. Mom showed me her room, very nice and bright with a large bay window. My brother in law was up as well, I greeted him and gave him a hug. Mom and I chatted as my sister prepared breakfast for the family. My niece and nephew showed me their rooms. Both of them are honor students. My nephew’s room is filled with trophies which he has won in many Karate tournaments. Quite impressive I thought, many of them were won at state or national level.

My niece’s room is fit for a little princess, exactly what she is at home. The pixies hanging from the ceiling were the presents we got for her a couple of years ago. Her room is also very bright during the day. A couple of years ago as a second grader, she took first place in a local Harry Potter novel reading & comprehension contest. She has been taking piano lessons for over a year now.

I checked out the rest of the house, it was so different from what I had remembered. One thing never did change though – the closeness in the family. I certainly hope this bond won’t ever diminish as my sister’s kids head into their teenage years in the near future.

My first day in San Diego was going to be very busy. In another few hours I would be on my way to meet with my friends – Part III.



No comments:

Post a Comment